Friday 2 March 2012

Taking a few minutes to thank Globalization a bit

One of things I've learned from taking up International Studies is that, thanks to Globalization, world politics doesn't revolve around the relationships of states anymore. When people think about what's going on in the world they don't always go "So Germany did this to Poland" or "And then the United States and Canada decided to...", but rather names are now dropped and the mentions of civilians come into the fro as something substantial.

People are as important as the state now.




I find this kind of funny. To realize that yes, people are now within the picture when talking International Relations, is amusing because one would think that we've always been in the picture in the first place. However this wasn't so. It has only been over the last decade or so when globalization and interdependence occurred that people have been affirmed and almost unquestioned as significant. Before then it was just about what one country was thinking of doing for itself or to others and that's all that really mattered when thinking of IR. Thinking about how that used to be and relating it to the now, I can sort of connect it as to why nowadays we are so full of ourselves. When I say 'we', I speak about people in general.

Let's go back to my previous post wherein I gave my reaction to the film the 11th Hour. I commended how the film was effective by how it caught audience attention by re-affirming the awesomeness of the human race. We are grand beings and all that jazz has become a mantra and mindset for sometime and humility became only reserved for the astronauts. There's nothing completely wrong with that though. It is because of our pride at our race and capabilities that we go on to formulate and create new things, new wonders, new arts, new culture, etc. We can now nod and say, "Yes, I make a difference. Yes, I matter. I am one person but so what? I can do something, make change, and be remembered for it." and have the evidence to back it up. Although, I suppose that people have always been this powerful but it is thanks to Globalization cementing that states do not matter all the goddamn time that people are more aware and vocal about this.

I know globalization has brought about a lot of negative things. That's another thing I've learned upon taking up International Relations, almost everything that goes on in IR is a double-edged sword. There are good connotations and bad ones. Globalization and its free market and the triumph of democracy has created interdependence, better communication, better travel,  among other things. It has also produced apparent disparities among other nations. It has created a system wherein resources are passed around and sometimes abused. It has created winners and losers. It has made us shallow and big-headed persons. If that's the case then why am I taking this entire entry to stop and thank globalization? I'll type it again: People are as important as the state now.

It is always a good feeling to know that you matter and with world politics being concerned about people as much as states as a whole I just have to nod and know that at least that is good. Why would we want to really study about politics and learn about what's going on in the world without considering ourselves and people we care about? I've come to the conclusion that despite how much I may say I hate reading up like a bitch on articles that talk about things such as Regionalisms, International Economics, or Foreign Affairs, I do enjoy it the moment I realize how to put myself into the picture.

So thank you, Globalization for putting people in the picture. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment